08 March 2016: Inmarsat today announced that Global Xpress was awarded “Top Government Mobility Satcom Innovation” in the first annual Mobile Satellite Users Association (MSUA) 2016 Mobility Satellite Innovation Awards presented at Satellite 2016. Global Xpress is the industry’s first end-to-end commercial Ka-band network that spans the world, bringing the benefits of seamless, consistent, high-throughput access to the U.S. government to meet mobile, interoperable communication needs, at an affordable price.
MSUA judges selected Global Xpress for this award based on the numerous benefits being delivered to meet the demands of government end users, including:
- Designed for worldwide mobility, our flexible and scalable communication solution enables consistent higher performance, seamless wideband connection and dual Ka/L-band resiliency, wherever and whenever needed.
- Built purposely from the ground up with government users in mind, our worldwide service seamlessly complements the Wideband Global SATCOM (WGS) network, allowing the U.S. government to cost-effectively augment its system without any up-front commitment or additional infrastructure investment.
- Designed for on-demand flexibility, our combined ground infrastructure and satellite network is easy to use and manage, enabling our partners to deliver affordable and rapidly reconfigurable solutions for meeting unique missions’ needs.
- Inmarsat’s government users can trust that our secure network infrastructure provides reliable assured access that is built to meet best-business security practices and is supported by a dedicated cyber security team.
- Government-tested and in operations today, Global Xpress complements government MILSATCOM and is delivering highly reliable Ka-band commercial SATCOM that meets mobile, interoperable on-demand communication needs, at an affordable price.
- New services can be established very quickly and cost-effectively on-demand – SATCOM as a Service. By taking advantage of an open standard architecture, global customers have reaped tremendous savings from the existing Infrastructure as a Service architecture optimized for mobility. Unlike conventional fixed-satellite service (FSS), there is no need to lease inflexible regional bandwidth, and there is no pre-commitment to either equipment or capacity. Users augment their Mil-Ka systems when needed, using their own equipment and waveforms.
“Through Global Xpress, Inmarsat brings the capabilities of fully-managed worldwide wideband SATCOM solution that is fully interoperable with MILSATCOM,” said Peter Hadinger, President, U.S. Government Business Unit, Inmarsat, Inc. “This award further validates Global Xpress is truly an industry game changer and delivers unmatched mobile capabilities and benefits to the government.”
Inmarsat plc is the leading provider of global mobile satellite communications services. Since 1979, Inmarsat has been providing reliable voice and high-speed data communications to governments, enterprises and other organizations, with a range of services that can be used on land, at sea or in the air. Inmarsat employs around 1,600 staff in more than 60 locations around the world, with a presence in the major ports and centres of commerce on every continent. Inmarsat is listed on the London Stock Exchange (LSE:ISAT.L).
The Inmarsat press release newsfeed and corporate updates are on @InmarsatGlobal.
Mobile Satellite Users Association is a non-profit organization dedicated to promoting the interests of users and providers of satellite mobility solutions worldwide. The Association fosters the exchange of news, information and education among providers and users of satellite mobility solutions including those focused on communications, navigation and safety. MSUA celebrates and promotes mobility innovations and provides discussion forums and panel opportunities for mobility solution providers and users to exchange development ideas and usage requirements.